"Wilderness Therapy" Trip, Part 2: The Florida Panhandle

After my departure from Chattanooga, I headed all the way down south to the Florida Panhandle, where I stayed with family outside of Tallahassee, near the Gulf of Mexico.

During my five days there, I drove around the Apalachicola National Forest, stopped by my favorite stretch of beach in the state, and visited with one of my closest friends and her husband, among other, smaller sojourns. 

The highlight of my time there, however, was nearly getting my car stuck in the Apalachicola National Forest during a severe thunderstorm while trying to photograph an obscure wilderness area with some of the most amazing cypress buttresses I have ever seen. I will never again take dirt roads with my little Honda Civic when rain is in the forecast, especially in places where there is no cell reception.

Thankfully, both Scooter and I lived to tell the tale and share these pictures with you. As always, I hope you enjoy.


Lichgate Cottage, Tallahassee, FL

The Lichgate Live Oak, one of the largest and most beautiful in FL.

Lichgate Live Oak II

The green and shaggy canopy of the Lichgate Live Oak.

The Lichgate Live Oak's many limbs shoot off in different directions.

The Lichgate Live Oak gently rests one of its branches on the forest floor.

The Lichgate Live Oak's limbs twist and tangle.

The sun peeks through the Lichgate Live Oak's large canopy.

The still waters of Cherokee Sink, a small and exceptionally clear sinkhole lake.
Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

Cherokee Sink II
Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

A portion of the exposed limestone lakeside surrounding Cherokee Sink.
Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

This photo is more experimental, primarily comprised of reflections off of Cherokee Sink's still water.
Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

A solid view of Cherokee Sink's breadth.
Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

The reflections of the trees in the water look more real than the actual trees themselves.
Cherokee Sink, Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

Cherokee Sink, still and serene.
Wakulla Springs State Park, FL

Pitt Spring's beautiful aquamarine hue.
Econfina Creek Water Management Area, FL

The outflow of Sylvan Springs runs into Econfina Creek.
Econfina Creek Water Management Area, FL

A closer look at Sylvan Spring's intermingling with Econfina Creek.
Econfina Creek Water Management Area, FL

Clouds dance in the summer sky.
Camp Helen State Park, FL

The gorgeous turquoise waters of the Gulf of Mexico, west of Panama City.
Camp Helen State Park, FL

Clouds sit high above a coastal dune lake, a rare body of water.
Camp Helen State Park, FL

The "Rainbow Row" of Rosemary Beach, FL, part of the 30A Scenic Byway.

My favorite building in Rosemary Beach.

Pitcher Plants, pine flatwoods, and powerlines.
Apalachicola National Forest, FL

 



Comments