My Appalachian Autumn Adventure Part 2: The Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP)

I'm back with another installment of photos from my recent autumn journey through the Appalachians. 

This one focuses on the timeless Blue Ridge Parkway, a 469-mile drive through the mountains of Virginia and North Carolina that connects Shenandoah National Park to the Smokies. 

This place has been a perennial favorite of mine for nearly two decades and I always discover something new each time I go back. This was my first visit to the Virginia side of the Parkway in more than seven years, and it reminded me of why I fell in love with the Peaks of Otter area so deeply all those years ago. I can't wait to see what new nuances I'll discover on my next return trip.

Without further ado, let the scrolling commence!

Sharp Top reflects on the still waters of the lake.

Another symmetrical shot of Sharp Top.

Another radiant reflection featuring the picturesque Flat Top Peak.

Another reflective perspective on the lake, lodge, and Flat Top.

The peak of Flat Top reflection perfection.

A lovely lodge and lakeshore view from both the top and bottom.

Another favorite Flat Top photo.

Sunset starts to cast shadows over Sharp Top and its surroundings.

A gorgeous view out over the Virginia Blue Ridge. 

A long mountain chain stretches across the distant horizon.

Looking up at Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi at 6,684'.

A semi-sunset view of a secluded spot at Craggy Gardens.

The contours of the rock almost seem to reflect those of the distant mountains.

Another sunset shot of the steep slopes along the Parkway.

A pretty piece of fall along the BRP near Brevard, NC.

Colorful high-elevation hillsides near Graveyard Fields.

The view looking down from Devil's Courthouse.

Heavenly views at a place named after the ruler of Hell.

Blue Ridge Mountain majesty on display.


A deadly downhill dive awaits those too reckless on the rocks.

Beautiful and blue views from the top of Devil's Courthouse.

A profile shot of the Devil's Courthouse formation.



Comments