My Appalachian Autumn Adventure - Part 1: The Smokies

It's been a while, everyone! 

I've been kept busy at work since we have a very active and busy Halloween season. But it was all worth it knowing I had an autumn road trip to look forward to! I started out with a different plan for this trip than I was able to do, but I got enough time off from work to create a decent itinerary around the mountains of North Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.

The road trip was actually due to my sister's wedding near the Smokies, and while that was a beautiful ceremony, I saved my photography for the outdoors.

I'll be doing this differently than I usually do. My trip was essentially split between the Smoky Mountains, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and other, lesser-known destinations. So I'll be starting with the Smokies first, then the BRP, then the other assorted places I visited, instead of using chronological order like I normally do. 

Either way, the scenery will still be beautiful to look at. Hope you enjoy.


Elk graze in a large meadow outside of Cherokee, NC.

Part of Fontana Lake, formed by one of the largest dams east of the Rockies.

Fantastic fall foliage lines the road down to Fontana Lake.

Getting closer to the bridge over Fontana Dam.

A view of the mountains on the other side of Fontana Lake from the dam's bridge.

A picturesque view of the beginning of Fontana Dam's spillway. 

The mountains stretch high above the Little Tennessee as it exits Fontana Lake.

A fairly foggy  mountain view from the Foothills Parkway.

Overlooking the Little Pigeon River from the Foothills Parkway.

Another view of the Little Pigeon and distant peaks.

A brighter day on the Foothills Parkway means more colorful fall foliage.

A wonderful array of colors spans the Parkway from shoulder to shoulder.

The view from the front porch of my Aunt and Uncle's cabin.

Deep Creek fall leaves.

A quiet and cloudy morning didn't stop the fall colors from showing off at Deep Creek.

Juney Whank Falls, Deep Creek, GSMNP

Stunning fall colors curve over Deep Creek.

Tom's Branch Falls, Deep Creek, GSMNP

Tom's Branch Falls II

More fantastic foliage lines the flowing creek.

A small tributary spills into Deep Creek.

Flashy fall leaves and fast-flowing waters.

A multihued mountain moment on the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail.

Framing the fall foliage along Roaring Fork.

Fall leaves over Roaring Fork.

An especially scenic stretch along Roaring Fork.

A bridge, a boulder, and a bevy of bright autumn colors.

Roaring Fork's cool, clear current pairs well with the bright autumn hues overhead.

A small waterfall along Roaring Fork made for another relaxing respite.

Mountain creeks make for some of the most stunning and soothing scenery.


A brief moment to capture fall's bounty before another car comes.

Another mountain creek on the N.C. side of the Smokies.

I couldn't get enough of the cascade of colors featured along all the creeks in the autumn.

I have always been drawn to water, especially the movement and murmur of mountain streams.

A bull elk stands proud out in the meadow.

A pair of elk graze under a canopy of fall color.

The Smokies are one of the most famous places to see and hear elk on the East Coast.

There were at least 2 dozen elk out in this meadow.

A serene and stately scene ends this 
photographic journey through (some of ) the Smokies.


Comments